Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Course starts October 9, 2014

This is the blog page for the course of 16 lectures starting 9 October 2014 (Tue/Thu @ 12 in CMS meeting room 4). At the right is a link to my draft notes for all 16 lectures. 

My aim in these notes is to tread a Goldilocks path, by being neither too brief nor too verbose. I try to make each lecture a sort of self-contained seminar, with 4 pages of notes. I will slightly amend and change these notes as the course proceeds. In particular, I may be doing some things differently in the later lectures. Some students like to print notes in advance of the lecture and then write things in the margins when hearing me talk about things that are not in not in the notes. 

 I will use this space to talk about some extra things. Sometimes leaving a lecture I think, "I wish I had said ...". This blog gives me a place to say it. Or I can use this space to talk about a question that a student has asked. Or I might comment on an examples sheet question. There is a space after each post for you to write comments or ask questions using the IntenseDebate commenting system. 

 You can subscribe to be sent an email notification of new posts. 

 Some of you may be interested to know that A Careers Open Day is being held on by the Operational Research Society on Wednesday 19 November in Birmingham, www.theorsociety.com/careersopenday.